Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Creeper's Keeper

CREEPER’S KEEPER

After having concluded the solemn high Mass Fr.Joe blessed the water drawn from the well of the convent. He began the holy ceremony of House Blessing. He started with the chapel and then proceeded to the school building, dispensary, vegetable garden, cattle-shed, kennel, well, servant’s quarters, teachers’ lodging, common bathroom and toilet area, kitchen, refectory, recreation hall and the parlor all the way praying to Angels to ward off evils from those places and to guard them against invasion of Satan and his brigade. He was sweating and wearing out. ‘It’s all over’ He thought.
Rev.Jude the mother of the house accompanying him politely asked him, “Father, you have to bless our living quarter. Let us go in.”
“Dear Mother, your living quarter is the most sacred and sanctimonious spot in the convent. Does it really need a blessing?” He looked at her quizzically.
“All our previous chaplains did. Never anyone asked any question about it.” She whispered.
“Sister, you should know, even the angels dread to venture into your private living booths. Not even bishop is allowed inside. Isn’t that the holy of holies?”
“I don’t know of its legality and regality. I know it’s our religious ritual to be performed rightly for guarding our body and soul against temptation of flesh and mind while we are alone in our cell. Please…”
He at first hesitated for a while then obliged. He went on blessing the living cells of aspirants, postulants, novitiates and the professed ones partitioned by thick bamboo lattices and cotton curtains. They were around thirty partitions. When that ceremony was over mother politely directed him towards the Sick Room at the end of the line on the corner. He entered the room. He was shocked to see Jacintha his sweet heart sitting on the cot. She wore a loose nightie with no buttons and bra. Her face was swollen. Her lips seemed dry and dark, her eyes lethargic and bloodless. She emitted foul smell. She was in shambles. She looked like a possessed woman. He felt very sorry for her. He knew she needed help very badly and urgently.
“What’s wrong with her?” He asked Rev.Jude.
“We don’t know. She said she vomited a couple of times and felt very weak and miserable. She has fever and headache. She has taken neither food nor water. She’s sick. Today we will take her to doctor.”
He went near her and asked mildly, “Hi Jacintha, what’s happening to you?”
She raised her head and stared at him for a long while. She suddenly got up, closed in, held him tightly against her bosom and began kissing him lavishly and passionately.
He was knocked for six. Mother got stunned. For several seconds they could neither move nor utter a word.
After a while Jacinta breathed heavily and sweated profusely. She felt drained and weakened. She dried out and shriveled up and fell on his chest like a withered flower.
He held her firmly lest she fall on the ground.
After some time he whispered into her ears, “Jacintha, wake up. Behave yourself. Please leave me.”
She didn’t.
“I’m broke, Joe. I’m terribly sick” She heaved, babbled and cried.
Sr.Jude became very much worried.
“Jacintha, what are you doing? Are you mad? Oh God! Are you under the spell of Satan? He’s a priest. He’s our chaplain. I say leave him alone.” She ordered, “If not I’ll call for help. We didn’t know you are in a very bad condition.”
Jude began to move out. Joe suddenly turned and held her hand and said, “Don’t. Dear sister, please stay where you are. Be calm and composed. You are a matured woman in sanity and sanctity.”
Jude abruptly stopped, stood still and leaned on to the door.
“Sister, do not panic. Let her for a while. Heavens won’t be broken down here. Please pull a stool, sit quietly on it and pray for us. I’ll bring her back.”
Moments tickled by. Commotion in the Sick Room waved around.
After a long while Joe mumbled, “My dear Jacintha, I love you. Listen to me. You look beautiful. You are a wonderful woman. It’s been long time since I saw you. God gave us a golden opportunity now. Let us talk. Sit. Please…Will you?”
His words soothed her soul and softened her body. She quietly loosened her grip on him. He carefully moved her like a broken glace and made her sit on the cot. He sat beside her.
She put her palms on her face and began to sob uncontrollably. Warm tears streamed on her cheeks.
He laid his anointed hand on her head. He slowly caressed her tousled tresses and patted on her back. He felt her feverish.
“Jacintha, it’s all over. Cheer up. You are educated, matured and still charming. You know. Long ago we worked together for years for the needy and the poor of our parish. When we turned up at our turning point of life we discussed about our future. We debated for weeks. We decided to give up the goodies of our life, our parents and our home for God. I selected my route. You choose your way. You traveled for years as I did. My dear, you know. We think wise. And God think otherwise. If not, my dear, you wouldn’t be here. I wouldn’t be here. I never thought of seeing you here. What a graceful event!”
“Joe, I knew all that. I kept my word of promise truly and truthfully. I kept you aside. Yesterday eve Mother announced about your appointment as our new chaplain. She added that you would officially visit us today. I just thought of you. In a flash our past love life opened up. All of it came down rolling over me like a roller-coaster devastating me. I became restless. Many a time my heart was torn apart. I prayed and I cried in silence. I couldn’t open up to anyone. I couldn’t contain myself. I suppressed. Suddenly something erupted in the pit of my stomach. I felt feverish. My temperature rose up. My body ached. Twice I vomited. I couldn’t sleep. Nightmares invaded me. I am afraid I will go mad. Please…Joe”
“Yea, exactly, you went mad after me. You held me captive, hugged me and kissed me warmly. And then you cried. You bared your self and poured out your emotions on my face. Now you’re a spent-force, an empty shell. You will have to fill it out again. I can’t do that. Am I correct?”
She lightly shook her head a couple of times. She looked at Jude.
“Mother, I’m sorry. I am really sorry for this mess. I feel guilty.” She confessed.
“Sorry? What for? Why feel guilty? Jacintha, you hugged and kissed not a stranger on the street or a handsome worker in your convent, but me your friend. You are seeing me in person after five years. My name might have stormed your mind and heart. My presence perhaps boiled up your heart. Is that a crime? No. Is that a mortal sin? No. Jesus loved women more than men. He hugged them, kissed them, lived with them and cried for them and their children. Mental or emotional blow ups between the loved ones are genuinely human. Some times it happens all of a sudden like tsunami. There is nothing to be ashamed of them. Let us not see sex and sin in every nook and corner of our Christian life. Jacinthamol, listen, God is not a trigger happy sharp shooter shooting down his children into heaven and hell. He’s neither a task master in the circus ring nor a policeman on the street. Jesus broke almost all the rules and regulations of his community. He never threw stone at woman. I am sure you never meant malice to anyone. I know you are a lovely creeper chosen by God for his great work in his vineyard. My dear, I am one of His keepers here. Do you understand?”
Jacintha nodded. She gleamed at him through her welled up eyes. Warm tears flowed on her cheeks. She whispered softly,
“Yes, Joe, you’re. Forgive me. I embarrassed you and my people. Sorry. I understand.”
He fished out his kerchief and wiped her tears.
“Jacintha, I have no hesitation to hug and kiss you in front of your community and to disclose ‘Hei dear sisters, look, this sister is a gem among you. She is a beautiful lady, energetic and efficient one. She will become very fruitful member in your congregation. We have worked together for All India Catholic Students Federation and National Social Service. She has been my right hand for four years and a girlfriend too. Now she’s yours. Take good care of her’…Isn’t it nice to say? Will they be scandalized? They will be delighted and happy about you.”
Intuitively and instinctively she moved away a little from him.
“How’s your life here?”
“Fine.”
“What are you?”
“Head of the school.”
“You happy?”
“Very happy”
“How do you feel now?”
“Quite well. Joe, no word from you for the last six years. Where have you been?”
“At Benares Hindu University teaching Biblical Jesus and learning Indian spirituality and mysticism.”
She looked at him and smiled liberally and adoringly.
“Joe, I feel thirsty and hungry.”
“Good. Me too. Get up. Freshen up. Tidy your self.”
He held her hand and turned. He got his second shock. Senior sisters of the house were on the corridor behind the Mother near the exit watching and listening to him in monastic silence. He blinked at them.
“Yes. We do understand now better.” Mother said for all of them. They smiled at him lavishly.
“Let us pray” He said. They prayed ‘Our Father’ together.
In the end Mother cried out, “Deo gratias! Today let us celebrate.”
They clapped their hands and sang ‘Ave Maria’
[This is a chapter from author’s forthcoming book WITHIN THE CLOISTERED WALLS]

No comments:

Post a Comment